Lagan Dragons is Northern Ireland’s first ever breast cancer survivor Dragon Boat team, formed in September 2015, with training sessions from Bryson LaganSports, alongside the river Lagan in the centre of Belfast.
Our team is primarily made up of breast cancer survivors, family members and medical professionals who have supported us and been involved in our diagnoses and treatment, but we welcome new members of all ages and abilities!
Our club Captain and founding member is Joanne Rock, a fully qualified Irish Dragon Boat Association (IDBA) Helm and Coach. Joanne has participated in the 2014 International Breast Cancer Paddlers’ Commission (IBCPC) Participatory Dragon Boat Festival in Sarasota, USA, and is planning to lead Lagan Dragons to the 2018 International IBCPC Participatory Dragon Boat Festival in Florence, Italy.
Lagan Dragons have three fully qualified IDBA Helms/Coaches and our head coach is a former K1 world champion.
Our mission is to provide opportunities for those affected by breast cancer to participate in Dragon Boat paddling, which in turn helps support and develop their emotional wellbeing while achieving overall improved general health and fitness.
To facilitate this, we aim to grow our club membership year on year, make new friends and continue to improve overall fitness while having fun at the same time!
- to encourage those who have been diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer to lead full, happy and active lives
- to raise awareness about breast cancer
- to provide support and friendship to team members
- to demonstrate the benefits of an active lifestyle through the sport of dragon boat racing
- to offer support to the family and friends of members
- to promote an interest in dragon boat racing and maintain its traditions
- to encourage a high standard of participation in the sport, through formation of new crews and racing in dragon boats in regattas
- to organise social and competitive charity events to increase club awareness and raise club funds
- to celebrate our lives and have FUN!
- to encourage those who have been diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer to join Lagan Dragons so that they can benefit from regular exercise in a fun team environment
- to raise awareness of breast cancer in women and men of all ages
- to support Lagan Dragon members, family and friends through challenging times
- to motivate, support and encourage everyone about the benefits of an active lifestyle through the sport of dragon boat racing
- to increase our public profile with local media
- to raise funds for Lagan Dragons by holding charity events
- to laugh and celebrate our lives every day!