Lagan Dragons is Northern Ireland’s first ever breast cancer survivor Dragon Boat team, formed in September 2015, with training sessions from Belfast Boat Club, 12 Lockview Road, Belfast.
Our team is open and inclusive to all, however, we are primarily made up of breast cancer survivors but we welcome new members of all ages, backgrounds and abilities!
Our club Captain and founding member is Joanne Rock, a fully qualified Irish Dragon Boat Association (IDBA) Helm and Coach. Joanne successfully led the team (who finished 47th out of 128 teams from around the world) to the 2018 International Breast Cancer Paddlers’ Commission (IBCPC) Participatory Dragon Boat Festival in Florence, Italy. She has also represented Team Ireland at the 2014 IBCPC Festival in Sarasota, USA.
Lagan Dragons have several fully qualified IDBA Helms/Coaches and our head coach ‘Gino’ is a former K1 world champion.
Our mission is to provide opportunities for those affected directly or indirectly by breast cancer to participate in Dragon Boat paddling, which in turn helps support and develop their emotional wellbeing while achieving overall improved general health and fitness.
To facilitate this, we aim to grow our club membership year on year, make new friends and continue to improve overall fitness while having fun at the same time!
- to encourage those who have been diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer to lead full, happy and active lives
- to raise awareness about breast cancer and the BRCA gene
- to provide support and friendship to team members
- to demonstrate the benefits of an active lifestyle through the sport of dragon boat racing
- to offer support to the family and friends of members who have been affected indirectly by breast cancer
- to promote an interest in dragon boat racing and maintain its traditions
- to encourage a high standard of participation in the sport, through the formation of new crews
- to organise social and competitive charity events to increase club awareness and raise club funds
- to celebrate our lives and have FUN!
- to encourage those who have been diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer to join Lagan Dragons so that they can benefit from regular exercise in a fun team environment
- to raise awareness of breast cancer in women and men of all ages
- to support Lagan Dragon members, family and friends through challenging times
- to motivate, support and encourage everyone about the benefits of an active lifestyle through the sport of dragon boat racing
- to increase our public profile with local media
- to raise funds for Lagan Dragons by holding charity events
- to laugh and celebrate our lives every day!
What We Do
Currently, we paddle from Belfast Boat Club every Saturday morning at the following times;
8.45am – Lagan Dragon members session
Last Saturday of each month 10.45am – Newcomers open session everyone welcome (please arrive at 10.15am for a cuppa with us beforehand)
These one-hour sessions run from March to November, and during the winter months, we continue our fitness regime with dry land training.
Our training caters for all levels of fitness and competence – we strive to improve everyone’s overall fitness and, while there is a competitive element to our training, everyone is encouraged to join in and train to their own level and abilities.